Phoenix, Arizona: (circa 1889). Cabinet card. Albumen photograph with “54. West End School Phoenix” captioned in the negative [18.5 cm x 11.5 cm] on an off-white card mount [21.5 cm x 13 cm], with a label for Irvine Co. Booksellers & Stationers, Phoenix A.T. and a pencil notation on the verso: “Goldwater 15”.
On July 4, 1887, the first Southern Pacific train arrived from Maricopa Wells, allowing more market access for Phoenix, its crops and other products. A growing population of 3,152 in 1890 required two new schools, East End School at 8th St. and Washington, and West End School at 6th Ave. and Madison, to be opened after Arizona’s territorial government permanently moved its offices to Phoenix from Prescott. At the time, Phoenix was still a struggling agricultural community of dusty streets and open ditches, periodically on the verge of being destroyed by flood, fire, disease, or drought. Item #74703